2 tbsp olive oil
½ cup finely diced white or yellow onion
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 cup Ricotta cheese
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
½ cup roasted garlic cloves, gently mashed
2 ½ pounds ground chuck
1 tbsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup tomato juice
¾ cup veal stock of beef broth
½ cup ketchup
1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp ancho chili powder
1 tsp Cayenne Powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. in cast-iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until the onion is golden brown. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, eggs, breadcrumbs, Ricotta, Worcestershire sauce, and roasted garlic. Stir to blend, add ground chuck and Season with salt and pepper.
- In an oiled large baking dish, form the mixture into a loaf. Place the pan on the middle of the rack of the oven and bake, uncovered, for 30-45 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the loaf registers to 145-150 degrees F.
- To make the sauce; in a small saucepan, combine the tomato juice, stock, and ketchup. Place over medium heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until thick and bubbly.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and add the sugar, ancho chili powder, and cayenne. Remove from heat.
- Whisk into the tomato sauce until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the meat loaf into slices and serve on warmed plates, with the sauce on the side.